Monday, April 30, 2007

Karma Schwarma

Now I'm not saying I don't believe int eh existence of karma. But sometimes I think we give the fates too much credit. They may be omnipotent but are you sure they're really omnipresent?
The case I'm reffering to is when one is in close company and they make a reeeeely crude joke. A joke that one would never say in front of mixed company. Here's a list of some topics (and I'm not admitting over the internet that I make jokes about these things, they are merely examples): AIDS, Abortion, Asians...and that's just the A's. Whenever topics like this are jested about someone feels they must separate themselves from the grouup by saying something like "keep joking about this stuff and watch what happens" or "you know if you keep saying these awful things your baby is going to be born with no eyes." I'll admit that a twinge in the back of my brain tells me what I'm doing is wrong. But it feels so naughty and delightful. I just can't seem to help myself. Here's my point. Are there any documented cases of this happening. Can you recall a time when someone made a joke about bird flu and then a week later their mother ate a tainted Sparrow? If you feel uncomfortable making jokes about things you know nothing about then that's a good thing. You will avoid putting your foot in your mouth on a weekly basis. But if you only do it because of the invisible floating eye waiting to teach you an unexpected lesson, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons, and you should be smited...or smoten...what the hell is that word?

No comments: